Monday, December 7, 2015

Letter to the Brokenhearted for this Season

Psalm 34:18 - The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. 

Dear Brokenhearted,

I'm sorry for writing to you too late.  I should have written to you a year ago, or maybe 2.  But the Lord was busy fixing my broken heart, too.  I know you don't like this season, especially the month of December.  People get married or get engaged.  And it sucks that your season is marked with tears and sorrow.  Sometimes, you just wish this season would be over quickly.  Or wish that your feelings would just leave instantly.  I felt the same way, too.  I tried many methods - from self-deception to standing in truth with the Word of God.  There were days that my methods worked.  There were days that were just unbearable.  I would spend a lot of time questioning if I did the right thing.  Sometimes, I would just do a lot of stupid things, and regret them later.

Beloved, healing takes time.  Don't give up in pushing forward to find complete restoration.  Don't hide from it.  Don't let shame eat you up.  Remember that everyday, you operate on doing your best based on what you know at this point in time.  You do not need to feel bad about not knowing everything today.  No one expects you to be perfect.  And you also cannot expect yourself to be consistent.  We, human beings are like that - imperfect and inconsistent, especially when we are hurt.

My Beloved, there is no perfect formula to get you out of this.  But know that Someone understands your pain and your sorrow.  I know that because He was with me in my brokenness, and He is still with me.  Don't run away from Him.  He is not your enemy, but He's your Healer.  His medicine stings sometimes, but you are safe in His hands, and you can trust Him.  Besides, you can never hide from Him.  You will always have Company.

I wish I could tell you it would be over soon, but I can't.  However, you can take it one day at a time.  You can have new mercies everyday, and your day can end with gratitude in your heart.  It's not impossible.

One day, you'll look back and smile.  Or even laugh at yourself.  You might even be like me, seeing my life as if it was someone else's story.  But keep the stories in your heart.  They are beautiful stories.  It's the stories that give our lives color, and our hearts hope.

Meanwhile, keep yourself in prayer.  The Bible tells us that the Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.  Take this time to be alone with Him.  This time is precious, as You will be with the perfect Companion - the One Whom you can be completely honest with, Who can read your mind and knows everything about you, Who forgives you and loves you unconditionally, Who is patient with you, and Who can be funny at times, too.  You'll miss this closeness with Him when you are no longer hurting.

With love from someone who also understands you.


No comments:

Post a Comment