Monday, July 27, 2015

Tisha B'Av

This weekend was an incredibly peaceful time for me.  For the past few weeks, I've had plans outside Jerusalem -- either I had a friend in Jtown, or I had to go somewhere else.  For the first time in 6 weeks, I finally had my nice alone time with the Lord.

I was thinking, maybe I should fast.  I wanted to seek the Lord anyway regarding a certain matter.  Plus it's Tisha B'Av, I might as well join my Jewish neighbors in their commemoration.  For those who do not know what Tisha B'Av means, you can check this website: Tisha B'Av Basics.

So I boldly asked the Lord -- "what is Tisha B'Av for the Jewish people?  What is Tisha B'Av for me?"

Here are my key learnings:
  1. The Lord has given me 4 rainbows in the span of 3 days.  Rainbows don't come often during summer because it doesn't rain, nor will you find any clouds.  However, I found rainbows in my room TWICE, some reflection created by random items close to my window -- either a water bottle, or a pink plastic heart that I use for decor.  They lasted for a few minutes until the direction of the sunlight would not be able to make a rainbow inside my room through them.  The 2 other rainbows are by the kitchen sink -- both while I was washing the dishes.  This reminded me of the covenant that the Lord gave the Jewish people -- from the time of Noah, to the time of Abraham, and even to the new covenant in Jeremiah 31, which also applies to me, a follower of Yeshua.  Despite all the tears that the Jewish people cried during Tisha B'Av, the Lord has not changed His mind about fulfilling His promises to them.  The rainbow is a symbol of hope for them.  And it has become a symbol of hope for me.
  2. While I was reading the Torah, I have seen a lot of new things, i.e. the Lord was completely aware that Israel will not be able to obey the law.  This was prophesied by Moses in Deuteronomy.   If we really think about it, if Adam and Eve, who lived in paradise, and everything was perfect, were still prone to sin, what about the Israelites, or even us, who live in a fallen world, absolutely imperfect, are we even of greater risk of falling into sin?  This gave me greater appreciation of what Yeshua did on the cross, His sacrifice, and His supplication -- because this is God working on our behalf.  His covenant with us is unilateral -- He is and will always do His part, and will be faithful, even if we are not!  The only sacrifice that we really need is a sacrifice of thanksgiving.
  3. I felt I needed to take a break and watch a movie, so I decided to watch The Boy in Striped Pajamas.  Little did I know that it was a heart-wrenching, soul-moving, tear-jerking movie.  I was in absolute tears!  So, in the eve of Tisha B'Av, I was wailing like mad, just like everyone else at the Western Wall.  So I feel you, my Jewish neightbors.  I was wailing with you!  My key takeaway from the movie is that the anti-semitic spirit is absolutely an evil spirit.  In fact, it's a spirit of destruction, it makes a person bankrupt of human morals to the point that it has the ability to treat a Jewish person like trash -- as if they are not human beings.  But when we see them as human beings, we put a name, a face to the word Jew -- they become like us -- fragile, alive, human.  I will always have a face to a Jew.  He's my favorite Jew, and His name is Yeshua.
They say that Tisha B'Av doesn't have a happy ending, unlike Yom Kippur.  But I have a happy ending for the tears that we cried during Tisha B'Av- Psalm 56:
Be gracious to me, O God, for man would crush me; all day long he who battles oppresses me.   All day long my enemies would crush me, for there are many who arrogantly battle against me. 
In the day when I am afraid, I will trust in You.  In God whose word I praise, in God I have trusted; I will not fear. What can mere flesh do to me? 
Every day they twist my words; all their thoughts are against me for evil.  They stir up strife, they lurk, they watch my steps, when they wait for my life. 
Should there be deliverance for them on account of wickedness? In Your anger cast down the peoples, O God. 
You take account of my wandering; put my tears in Your bottle; are they not in Your book? 
In the day I cry to You, then my enemies will turn back; this I know, that God is for me. In God whose word I praise, in the Lord whose word I praise, in God I trust, I will not fear; what can a man do to me? 
Your vows are on me, O God; I will complete them with thank offerings to You; for You have delivered my soul from death, even my feet from stumbling, to walk before God in the light of the living.

No comments:

Post a Comment